1 an authorization to sell a company's goods or services in a particular place
2 a business established or operated under an authorization to sell or distribute a company's goods or services in a particular area [syn: dealership]
3 a statutory right or privilege granted to a person or group by a government (especially the rights of citizenship and the right to vote) [syn: enfranchisement] v : grant a franchise to
- A right or privilege officially granted to a person or a company by a government; an acknowledgment of a corporation's existence and ownership.
- The authorization granted by a company to sell or distribute its goods or services in a certain area; the grantor or recipient of such authorization.
- A legal exemption from jurisdiction.
- The membership of a corporation or state; citizenship.
- The right of voting at a public election.
- An excellent player in a team sport.
A right or privilege officially granted to a person or a company by a government
- Finnish: toimilupa
The authorization granted by a company to sell or distribute its goods or services in a certain area; the grantor or recipient of such authorization
A legal exemption from jurisdiction
The membership of a corporation or state; citizenship
The right of voting at a public election
An excellent player in a team sport
Etymology 2From French franchir
Franchise generally means a right or privilege. It may refer to:
- Suffrage, the civil right to vote
- Franchising: A business method that involves the licensing of trademarks and methods of doing business, such as:
- A government-granted monopoly, e.g. a "cable franchise"
- Franchise (short story), a 1955 short story by Isaac Asimov
- Dem Franchize Boyz, an American hip hop group from Atlanta.
- Franchise deductible, in insurance, where the deductible only applies in small losses
- In professional sports league organization in North America, a professional sports team.
franchise in German: Franchise
franchise in French: Franchise
franchise in Dutch: Franchise
franchise in Scots: Franchise
franchise in Simple English: Franchise
Australian ballot, Hare system, affranchise, authorize, aye, ballot, blank check, brevet, canvass, canvassing, carte blanche, casting vote, certificate, certify, charter, concession, copyright, counting heads, cumulative voting, deciding vote, diploma, diplomatic immunity, discharge, dispensation, division, empower, enable, enfranchise, enfranchisement, entitle, exception, exemption, fagot vote, favor, female suffrage, freedom, give official sanction, give power, grant, graveyard vote, hand vote, household franchise, immunity, indulgence, legalize, legislative immunity, legitimize, letters patent, liberty, license, list system, manhood suffrage, nay, no, nontransferable vote, patent, permission, plebiscite, plebiscitum, plumper, plural vote, poll, polling, preferential voting, privilege, proportional representation, proxy, ratify, record vote, referendum, release, representation, right to vote, rising vote, royal grant, sanction, say, secret ballot, show of hands, single vote, snap vote, special favor, straw vote, suffrage, suffragette, suffragettism, suffragism, suffragist, the vote, transferable vote, universal suffrage, validate, viva voce, voice, voice vote, vote, voting, voting right, warrant, woman-suffragist, write-in, write-in vote, yea, yeas and nays, yes